Friday, December 21, 2012

Tang Yuan



I was told today is Guo Tong or  Yuanxiao day. It has been at least 15 years since I last ate this. I remembered making this with my sister and mum. And while preparing this all 3 of us would gathered around the pot of ginger sugar syrup and rolling these little balls and chat, exchanging stories, which was fun. 


When DH Friesland told me about it I wanted to try it too. Then came my daughter looking so interested and wanted to help. I suddenly feel this Tongyuan is such a mother daughter bonding dish. She wanted to know the story of Tongyuan too.











Of course I have to tell her the story of Tang Yuan and why are we making this. She finds it bizarre.

Luckily I had googled and read about it from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangyuan_(food)

Tāngyuán is a Chinese food made from glutinous rice flour. Glutinous rice flour is mixed with a small amount of water to form balls and is then cooked and served in boiling water. Tangyuan can be either small or large, and filled or unfilled. They are traditionally eaten during Yuanxiao.

Origins

According to a legend,  in the Han Dynasty, there was a maid of honor who was called Yuanxiao. She missed her parents a lot but she could not leave the palace. Therefore, she wept all the time and even wanted to turn to suicide. A minister knew her story and promised to help her. What Yuanxiao needed to do was to make lots of Tangyuans, which was the best cuisine she could make, in order to worship the god on 15th day of the first month in Chinese calendar. Finally, Yuanxiao did a great job and the emperor was so contented; therefore, Yuanxiao was permitted to meet her parents, Tangyuan was named as Yuanxiao and 15th day of the first month in Chinese calendar was considered to be Yuanxiao Festival.
According to the record of history, Tangyuan has been a popular snack in China since Sung Dynasty.


Traditionally it is supposed to be white or maybe pink. But I want to make it more interesting to entice my kids to eat it. I found out I was not the only one :) who like rainbow colours.


12 comments:

  1. Hi Yueky, Happy YuanXiao day to you. Love your tanyuan, look so colorful.

    Merry Christmas and a Very Happy New Year to you and family. Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amelia, happy Yunxiao to you too. And Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year too. And Happy Dooms Day too hahaha

      Delete
    2. Hi Yueky, no Dooms day to celebrate, nothing happen past 24 hours. We are still fooling around. hahaha....

      Have a lovely weekend, regards.

      Delete
    3. Hooray! We are still alive and kicking! LoL

      Delete
  2. WOW I think your tang yuan must be the most vibrant and colorful ones I've seen this year! Happy Dongzhi! And Merry Christmas to u and yr family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Yen, I have never seen such vibrant colors tong yuan before. They are calling my name. hehe. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Veronica, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you & your family too

      Delete
  4. Lovely tang yuan. I made the traditional style, red and white, simply because I am lazy to dirty my bowls and hands with so many colours! I told them I did that last year, not this year! Lazy mommy! hahaha!
    Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce , I am a kid at heart LoL I hate doing the dishes too. Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year to you too.

      Delete
  5. Hi Yueky, Happy New year to you and wish you all the best in 2013. Yeh..... we are still kicking and alive and able to fool around the blogland. Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome post & yes this really evoked our childhood. It was really fun making tang yuen with mom but then we had limited colors! LOL These are definitely the most colorful tang yuen I've ever seen! United colors of tag yuen! :D

    ReplyDelete